Notebook video card help

Richard Mancusi vrman49 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 04:56:14 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 21:47, Richard Mancusi <vrman49 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an opportunity to purchase soon to be discontinued
> notebooks at significant savings.  My #1 concern is the
> video cards.  Does anyone have experience with either of
> the following.  I suspect that given enough time most cards
> can be made to work.  However I am not looking for a
> project - no make a new kernel, etc.  I would prefer to stick
> with a readily available driver in 8.10 or 9.04.  It does not
> need to support compiz.
>
> 1. NVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M graphics with 512 MB dedicated
> video memory.  Screen resolution would be 1920 x 1200.
>
> or
>
> 2. NVIDIA Quadro NVS 320M graphics with 256 MB dedicated
> video memory.  Screen resolution would be 1680 x 1050.
>
> tia
> -rich

More info - it appears that the correct package is either
nvidia-glx-177 or nvidia-glx-180  per the following links.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/i386/nvidia-glx-177
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/i386/nvidia-glx-180

Any comments are appreciated.  e.g. would the correct driver
requirement be discovered while I am doing the initial 8.10
install, etc.

-rich