problem with chmod

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sat Apr 4 23:51:28 UTC 2009

habtool wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 15:41 -0700, Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> Bret Busby wrote:
>>
>>> As it happens, it does work on the system.
>>>
>>> As stated in another response to my messages, the command does require
>>> to be done with sudo. I tried that, and that works.
>>>
>>> :~$ cat /etc/fstab
>>> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
>>> #
>>> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
>>> # /dev/sda8
>>> UUID=3bb93d1c-1875-4036-90c7-846e954ceb45 /data         ext3    defaults        0       0
>>> # /dev/sda5
>>> UUID=cb771616-3630-4139-9b1d-c3fb499d9949 /debian_home  ext3    defaults        0       0
>>> # /dev/sda7
>>> UUID=1b72f837-17e1-4af9-9f22-31dc9a191657 /               ext3    relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
>>> # /dev/sda6
>>> UUID=b421ce00-c5cc-4df1-9102-65b0b256376d none            swap    sw              0       0
>>> /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
>>> /dev/scd1       /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
>>> /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

>> Hello,
>>
>> I think I see your problem... correct me if I'm wrong someone, but
>> aren't most of the lines he wants to mount commented out in his fstab? I
>> checked my fstab file, and none of the lines in it, have a hash mark at
>> the beginning of them, and the hash mark is often used to turn a line
>> into a comment which gets ignored in configuration files.
>>
>> In your fstab file, sda5, 6, 7, & 8 are all commented out with a hash
>> mark. [#] Remove those hash marks, and I believe your problem will go
>> away. 8-)
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>
>> --
>> Human reviewed index of links about the computer
>> http://www.rayslinks.com
>> Poetry from the mind of a Schizophrenic
>> http://www.writingsoftheschizophrenic.com/
>>

> Ray
>
> I think the hashes are fine in this instance, as they are only blanking
> the reference to the partition in the sda format, that would have been
> used before they switched to uuid.
> I.E the UUID is now used in the line below the # /dev/sda8 etc
>
> Hope this makes sense
>
> later
> Habtool

Yes, I just took a closer look at my fstab file, and now I see that only
the drives not being identified with UUIDs are prefaced with the sdan
identifiers. My bad... Thanks for correcting me, I'm always ready to
learn. 8-) the only partition using a UUID to identify it on my system,
is the Ubuntu root/boot partition, and all of my NTFS partitions are
using the dev/sda method.

Later, Ray Parrish