Itching point of curiosity...

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sat Apr 4 23:41:32 UTC 2009

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> Thanks for that bit of information. Now I'm wishing even more that my
>> Ubuntu Live CD would still work, so I could check to see if it will use
>> an existing swap file as well. Woops I forgot! That won't work on my
>> system anyway, I don't have a swap partition, as I screwed up during a
>> re-installation of Ubuntu, which was necessary after messing up, and
>> freezing up the Gparted Live CD while resizing partitions. I neglected
>> to create a swap partition then, so I'm using a swap file instead.
>>

> You can resize partitions after the fact. Make sure you back up the
> partition that you want to resize, unmount it, and then use the resizing
> tools appropriate for your filesystem. I've done it many times and have
> never had a problem.

I know that.. it was what I was doing with Gparted Live, but I got bored
while it was doing the resize to reapportion space between Ubuntu and
Windows XP, and began playing with things on the Gparted Live interface
screen which was the only thing showing on my toy [this computer] at the
time. When I stupidly decided to change the setting of one of the
elements of it's interface to "hidden" or some such [can't remember
exactly] it dutifully attempted to write the settings change to the read
only CD, which froze Gparted up hard in the middle of the resizing
operation. OOPS!!!

I got really, really, lucky, as it hadn't messed with the XP partition
yet, but it had managed to make grub toss an error message on my attempt
to boot after doing a hard power down. The only recourse I knew of at
the time, as it was right after my first install ever of Ubuntu, was
reinstalling Ubuntu which luckily fixed the problem. It wasn't  much of
a big deal, as I had not stored any data on the Ubuntu side of my
machine yet, so I didn't lose anything.

But I did use the manual method of partition control during the
re-install, and forgot to add a swap partition. The swap file I'm using
works great as is, and allows me to resize it very easily, should the
need arise, so I don't see any reason to attempt adding a dedicated swap
partition now. My Ubuntu partition has plenty of space to accommodate
the I GiB swap file I'm using.

I learn from my mistakes better than I do from just reading things, so
it was actually a positive experience in the end. 8-)

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com