Updated Jaunty - lost window manager

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sat Apr 4 18:53:26 UTC 2009

Brian McKee wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I installed the netbook edition of Jaunty and it was working well. I
> added a few applications, moved a couple of files around, switched to
> regular desktop view and turned on extra effects in compiz, then ran
> aptitude dist-upgrade.
> When that completed and I rebooted - I've lost any window manager and
> the gnome panels - i.e. all I've got is a desktop.
>
> It's beta still - so quite possibly a recent update broke things and I
> just need to wait a day or so and update again - but I wondered if
> anybody else had seen similar.
>
> Brian

Hello,

Not on Jaunty, but in Hardy I had the same experience. On boot up one
morning I was greeted with a blank desktop, no panels, no icons, etc...
I was able to do an ALT-F2 to bring up the "Run Application" dialog, and
then used it to start each program in turn that I needed to redo all of
the settings necessary to bring back the panels, menus, and all of the
things installed on the panels.

That took me most of the day, and then getting all of my Compiz settings
back to where they had been, took a good part of that night as well.

I'm still not sure what caused it, but all is well now, and it has not
re-occurred. I had been changing settings in Compiz the night before,
and exported a profile from it without using the default .profile file
extension, and had thought that perhaps had caused the problem, but I'm
not really sure what did it. After redoing everything, I made sure to
export a profile with the correct .profile file extension just in case.

Sorry I cannot tell you what the cause was, but yes, I've experienced
it. 8-)

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com