files sharing

Gary Kirkpatrick pegngary at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 17:57:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Thorny <thorntreehome at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 09:14:11 -0600, Gary Kirkpatrick posted:
>
> > I have two laptops each running both windows and Intrepid.  I need a good
> > guide to activate file sharing and can't seem to find one.  The one
> > computer is running windows vista, the other xp, and both have Intrepid.
>
> I don't have a clue why you're having trouble finding guides, these are
> the hits I got with a brief google search. See if there is anything that
> can help you in any of those.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040
>
> http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsfilesharing/Windows_File_Sharing.htm
> http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/FileSharing/Windows/
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/
> http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/SAMBA_Filesharing
>
> http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/05/19/how-to-share-files-and-folders-in-ubuntu/
>
> http://www.watchingthenet.com/enable-file-sharing-in-ubuntu-using-samba.html
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

I've found several guides.  Watching the net, for example, has you open
system, admin network.  I have no such critter.  And then system, admin
shared folders.  i don't have that critter either.    I'll look at the
others (may have done so already).  thanks for the list.

I may end up using a flash drive but it bugs me that I can't get it to work
like it should.  It was fine on Hardy with XP.   Should work as well with
Vista and Intrepid.  I have this faith that things get easier and better,
not vice-versa.