Volume control on panel no longer has effect

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sat Apr 4 17:55:23 UTC 2009

Dave M G wrote:
> Ubuntu Users,
>
> It used to be that if I clicked on the small speaker icon on my Gnome
> panel, it would reveal a vertical slider that would control my
> computer's volume.
>
> However, recently this has stopped working. I get the slider, but moving
> it changes nothing.
>
> If I double click on the speaker icon, I get a window for "Volume
> Control" with a bunch of dual-sliders for various audio devices.
>
> If I move the "Master" sliders up and down, nothing happens.
>
> If I move the "PCM" sliders, that controls the audio.
>
> I'm assuming, then, that the slider that appears under the speaker icon
> is tied to the "Master" channel.
>
> Should it be tied to "PCM"?
>
> Is "Master" deprecated?
>
> How do I get the quick access to overall volume control that I used to have?
>
> Thanks for any help or advice.

Hello,

Right click the speaker icon, and select Preferences. this will allow yo
to select the device, and channel for that device that the slider
controls. You can even add more than one speaker icon to your panels and
set each to control different volume settings. [handy for controlling
your microphone volume]

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com