Ubuntu on a 1024x600 resolution.

Wendy Galovich wegalovich at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 4 15:08:54 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 16:46:58 Brian McKee wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Dirk Freitag <unreal.linux at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > kyle.smith wrote:
> >> It's a bit of a hack, but Compiz has a "Put Window" and "Grab Window"
> >> plugin that allow you to move a window without only grabbing the
> >> titlebar.  It would atleast allow you to press "Apply" :)

> >> resolution?
>
> There's a Gnome option that lets you push a window past the top of the
> screen too without compiz.
> I've got that turned on with my netbook.  Darned if I can find you a
> link at the second though.
>
> Brian

Alt + F7 puts the cursor in whichever window has focus, and that window can
then be moved with the mouse, including past the top or bottom of the current
screen.  I didn't change anything in that setting, so it appears to be the
Gnome default.  The setting is in the keyboard shortcuts in System /
Preferences.

Holding the Alt key down and positioning the cursor in the selected window
with the mouse and pressing the left mouse button (assuming you have the
default mouse setup) also allows you to move a window past the screen edge.  I
don't recall ever configuring that setting and I'm guessing it is also default
behavior, but if anyone knows differently, please jump in.

Wendy