GNOME Partition Editor - evolved into problem with chmod

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Apr 3 19:11:31 UTC 2009

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Thorny wrote:

>>> "Ah, there's the rub" (From Hamlet, I believe).
>>
>> Uh? I dont know Hamlet ;-)
>>
>>> If I try to get the UUID for the partition, by using the "vol_id -u"
>>> command, it returns "error opening device", I assume, because the device
>>> is not mounted.
>>
>> Make a:
>>      fdisk -l
>> to see your available partitions.
>
> That command won't give you the UUID of the partitions.
>
> The command blkid will show the UUID of the partitions. Even unmounted
> ones, Bret.

I don't know whether blkid has to be run as a superuser, but, when I ran
the command, I got no response.

I entered that command, and then the system just returned to the command
prompt, with no response displayed.

The previously mentioned (in the thread) command
ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid
worked; it listed uuid's for each partitition.

I entered the uuid's appropriately (I think) in the fstab file, and
tried two different positionings, but the amending of the fstab file,
did not result in the partitions being mounted.

To ensure no typographical errors in the UUID entris in the fstab file,
I copied and pasted the respective UUID's from the response to the ls
comand cited above.

I used the format
# <device>
<UUID>	ext3 	<mountpoint>	defaults	0	0

for each of the two partitions that I wanted to be mounted.

both of the partitions are ext3 partitions.

I figured that the use of defaults would be okay, as it is used in the
first data line of the file; the proc line.

Then, I rebooted, after each positioning.

man fstab made the point that the order of the listings in the fstab
file, is important, and that it is up to the syadmin to figure out how
to order them (thus, I do not know the required order).

I tried first with the order
proc
/
swap
mypartition1
mypartition2
opticaldrive1
opticaldrive2
floppy drive

which was the order as originaly, apart from the insertion of the two
mypartition's.

When that did not work, as the Debian fstab has data partition(s) before
the / mountpoint, I shifted the two mypartition lines, to between the
proc line and the / line in the fstab

After each attempt, I ran df -h, to find whether the two partitions were
listed, and, they weren't included in the listing, so I tried looking
using the Ubuntu equivalent of the File Browser, and I did not find the
partions, so I assume that they did not get mounted, in each of the two
attempts.

So, I still cannot get the two partitions to get mounted, via the fstab
file, in Ubuntu.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale