wine

Carl Friis-Hansen ubuntuuser at carl-fh.com
Fri Apr 3 17:53:01 UTC 2009

Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:09, Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com
> <mailto:thezorch at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Kjetil Halvorsen
>     <kjetil1001 at gmail.com <mailto:kjetil1001 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > Hola!
>      >
>      > I'm trying to install maple under wine.  have windows installers
>     for maple,
>      > and want to install under wine.
>      > When looking at the cdrom in a windows pc, there is a
>     subdirectory /windows.
>      > But when looking on the cd in ubuntu, even directly from wine,
>     this drectory
>      > does not show up?!!
>      > What is happening? What to do?
>      >

>     What is Maple?  If you mean Maple Story don't bother, it doesn't work
>     under Wine yet.  Its something to do with the Anti-Cheating software
>     that's included with it that doesn't work in Wine yet.  If not, please
>     clarify.
>
>     I'm not certain why you are seeing different content on the CD in both
>     Windows and Linux.  WINE isn't an emulator like VMware, it provides an
>     API environment under Linux for Windows software without emulation and
>     thus there are some programs which aren't fully compatible with it
>     yet.  WINE is improving all the time though.  The developers, testers
>     and users of WINE maintain a database of software that does and
>     doesn't work under WINE on the software's website: www.winehq.org
>     <http://www.winehq.org>
>
>     If that program is not the aforementioned Maple Story, have you
>     actually tried installing it to see if it will work?
>

> maple is a symbolic mathematics program, and it is listed in winehq appdb.
> I could'nt try to install, since the installer does'nt show up in the
> file browser"
>
> Kjetil
>

>     --
>     Michael "TheZorch" Haney
>     thezorch at gmail.com <mailto:thezorch at gmail.com>
>     http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home
>     Skype: thezorch (Voice and/or Chat)
>     AIM: thezorch at gmail.com <mailto:thezorch at gmail.com>
>     Yahoo IM: zorchhaney
>     ICQ: 343230252
>     GoogleTalk: thezorch
>     MSN Messeger: haneymichael at hotmail.com <mailto:haneymichael at hotmail.com>
>     Free Your Computer from the Tyranny of Microsoft www.ubuntu.com
>     <http://www.ubuntu.com>
>
>     --

> "Mathematics is not the rigid and rigidity-producing schema that the
> layman thinks it is; rather, in it we find ourselves at that meeting
> point of constraint and freedom that is the very essence of human
> nature."
>                                     - Hermann Weyl

When you look at the CD on the M$ machine, does the /windows directory
appear to be attributed system hidden or similar?  If this is the case,
then you might only be able to see it as root in Linux - maybe.

To Michael:  I thought wine was short for Windows Emulator?  As far as I
know, the VMWare thingis doesn't emulate anything, that's the whole
idea, that in virtualbox etc. the OS is running without knowing that it
is not the only master of the hardware - right?

--
       | Carl Friis-Hansen               | Fiskeryd Nybygget |