Best Backup software for Ubuntu 8.10

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Fri Apr 3 10:46:14 UTC 2009

Chris Mohler wrote:
  > I've not followed the thread but...
>
> IMO, a new day calls for a new copy - IE, if you want to go back in
> time (and you will!), you should create revisions as you work.  I'd
> hate to have to back up my entire HD (or even diffs) every day or two
> just to find an earlier version of a document.

Exactly this is where the beauty of rsnapshot or similar solutions is.

You do a differential backup that "by pure magic" (in reality the magic
is hardlink based) uses small differential backups to come out with a
full daily backup.

On top of this, your multiple day/weeks/months full-backup "magically"
(guess where the magic is ;-) ) occupies not much more space than your
original data does.

Kind regards
Eberhard