[OT] was (Re: Memtest choice on dual boot)

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 10:24:47 UTC 2009

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:05:06 -0600, Allen Meyers posted:
>>[Thorny]
>> For example:
>>
>> I could say to you, "don't post in HTML, idiot".
>>
>> On the other hand, I might choose to say it, "please post in text only
>> to this list as per the Mailing List Etiquette on this page".
>> configure your mail client to use text only.
>
>[Allen]
> Yea been there done that went to settings choose choose text encoding

Yes, however, that is not the place to make the change. That chooses the
text "encoding", not whether or not the email is in RTF (Rich Text Format,
what we mean by HTML in this case).

Have a look at your menu bar when you compose a message, if you see ways
to format bold; italic; underlined; and line spacing ; bullets; etc. then
you're composing in RTF. To the right on that menu is there a
link(underlined), "Plain Text" which you can click to compose in plain
text?

>[...]
>[Allen]
> The separate partition for /boot was something I had not considered and
> since
> mepis8 is by itself on a 40GB HD I could do that with ease. Would it
> just be a question of resizing creating a new partition label /boot and
> does that boot
> inclusion under flags sda1 have to be removed?

No, as we have discussed previously, GRUB doesn't care about boot flags.
And, no, it isn't as simple as creating a new partition, you'd also have
to copy the boot files there exactly as they exist now and re-write the
MBR to point to the new boot partition. At this point in your learning
curve that would be work for very little benefit (only that you'd learn,
possibly learn from an unbootable system for a while). Good idea to keep a
live CD around.

I can't think of any reason for you to switch to a separate boot partition
given the way you use your computer. The only time it might matter would
be if you decided to format the partition where your current /boot lives
(I guess it's the mepis install). This might be a good time to make a
backup of your working menu.lst and keep it someplace you won't format.