Simple photo-editing 8.10?

Al Black al-black at telus.net
Fri Apr 3 06:26:22 UTC 2009

Hey all.

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 23:15 -0700, Patton Echols wrote:
> On 04/02/2009 12:35 AM, Al Black wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 15:12 +0800, HermanAA wrote:
> >
> >> In 6.06 there was a simple photo-editor.
> >> It did 'cropping' 'file-size-reduction' 'make lighter/darker' 'change
> >> light/dark balance' 'color-correction?'
> >> ..... just what I need when in a hurry.
> >>  (.... and to reduce my 1 MB picture-s for someone with a slow
> >> Internet-connection).
> >>
> >> How/where do I get this capability in 8.10-64 ?
> >> I am 3 years on Linux. I do common stuff incl minimal cmd-line.
> >>

> > ImageMagick will do most of the stuff you want quickly and easily.
> >

> First, let me say that I think ImageMagick is the best thing since
> sliced bread.  I have used it a bit and it is an extraordinarly powerful
> set of tools and often the best tool depending on what is needed. . .
> but easy?  Not really.  You are either working from the command line or
> within "display" and it's menus.  Which are far less than intuitive.

Fair enough.  It does take some time, a bit of experimentation, to get
the hang of things.  But once you do get familiar, reducing file size,
converting formats, changing brightness, is really one command.  Its
easy in that sense.  (I do agree that working withing display isn't as
good.)

> For what the OP is talking about, I think he wants gthumb.  Good GUI for
> minimal stuff.

Another reasonable option.

al