Best Backup software for Ubuntu 8.10

Robert Parker rlp1938 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 04:50:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm at cox.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Derek Broughton wrote:

>> rsync is a low-level utility, it's not a backup application.
>
> I've seen that statement or one similar a few times. Could you point me
> to a doc(s) that explains the drawbacks of using it for backups in a
> little more detail?

It's fairly obvious if you take a few seconds to think about what you
want from a backup.
1. Do you want to retrieve the state of DocumentA from 3 days ago?
Nothing in rsync to allow that.
2. Do you want to retrieve DocumentB that you deleted yesterday? If
you used rsync with the --delete option since too bad rsync has done
what you wanted and deleted the copy in your mirror.

Bob Parker
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!