Edubuntu 8.04 query

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Apr 3 04:24:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:

> Bret Busby wrote:
> > We were looking for a live Edubuntu CD iso image, to download and write,
> > and demonstrate to a relative who is a deputy principal (and, it would
> > be a good opportunity, in another state of Australia, where the state
> > government is reported to be going to spend 25 million AUD to supply and
> > install software on computers for students and teachers).
> >
> > However, from what we found on the Ubuntu web site, a person has to
> > download a Ubuntu Live CD image and write that, and, then, download and
> > write a second CD image, that is Edubuntu add-ons, so that it appears
> > that a person cannot demonstrate Edubuntu, without installing Ubuntu on
> > the system on which Edubuntu is to be demonstrated.
>
> Given the stakes, it seems like an insignificant effort to have to
> install Ubuntu and then install the Edubuntu add-on packages onto a hard
> disk. I would not demonstrate from a live CD because it will usually be
> slower than running from the local hard disk. I'm not so sure that even
> installing locally is enough to impress.

Okay.

We just have to give up on Edubuntu, as unworkable.

It is one thing to demonstrate a LiveCD or LiveDVD, for which we can
provide a confident assurance "This will not make any changes to your
computer", but, to have to say "We will install this operating system,
with which you are completely unfamiliar, and we will have to rearrange
your hard drive and make changes to computer, to show you this operating
system and its applications that you might find useful", is pushing luck
too far.

We will investigate SkoleLinux, if it is available in English, as
Edubuntu is clearly something that cannot be easily demonstrated on
another person's computer.

If Edubuntu was available as a LiveDVD image, if it is too big to put on
a LiveCD, it would probably have been workable.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."