installing 8.04 on sata drives prob

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 19:02:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 11:13 AM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Lucio
>
> On Thursday 02 April 2009 17:45:19 Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>> >
>> > I would burn the CD again with the lowest possible speed, that may help
>> > gainst read errors.

>> > That's a bit strange because SATA disks are not connected to IDE ports.
>> > Are you sure the drives are SATA?
>> >

>> > Nils
>>
>> Are all the SATA drives recognized during install?
>>
>> Do you have "SATA" or "AHCI" options available in BIOS?
>>
>> Last time I had a similar problem, I found (memtest) that my RAM chips
>> wouldn't comply with their stated speed. After choosing a more
>> conservative setting the CD reader performed correctly (but it was an
>> IDE).
>>
>> Also, some BIOS require additional boot parameters at the grub boot
>> screen, such as pci=nomsi, but if it was the case, install would not
>> be "seeing" your drives.
>>
>> If everything else is running fine you might be facing a CD reader
>> problem, since I guess the CDs were not burnt at he same unit.
>> --
>> Lucio M Nicolosi, Eng. - Sao Paulo - Brazil

> The Bios has a rather simple structure to the IDE here for some reason. It
> gives the option for Compatibility mode or Enhanced. Then below that you can
> choose S-ata, P-ata, or Sata + Pata. It was in Enhanced with P-ata. I'm
> currently trying Compatibility mode which defaults to S-ata + P-ata
> Maybe that's the equiv on this board?
>
> James

Since seemingly you do not have any ATA (Pata) devices I believe you
should set SATA only mode. Perhaps you could search for information
about your BIOS options, and the differences between Compatibility and
Enhanced mode, or try both. I wonder if there's any need for
"Compatibility".

--
Lucio M Nicolosi, Eng. - Sao Paulo - Brazil
skype: lmnicolosi1