GNOME Partition Editor - evolved into problem with chmod

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Apr 2 17:27:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:

> Bret Busby wrote:
>> The Debian fstab entry (I edited the fstab file, to incorporate the
>> partition, from the Debian side) is
>> "
>> /dev/hdc8       /data           ext3    defaults        0       0
>> "
>
> Ubuntu fstab uses UUID, this way.
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> # /dev/sda1
> UUID=8ee9b4b5-98f9-4849-93bf-cec44029ae8e /public	ext3 defaults  0 0
>
> The UUID is from the "vol_id -u /dev/sda1" command

"Ah, there's the rub" (From Hamlet, I believe).

As Ubuntu apparently uses the UUID instead of the device path, in the
fstab, in the filesystem column, how do I get the UUID, to get a
partition mounted?

I have now managed to get the particular (hdc8) partition mounted, and
writable, and written to, in Debian, but I now do not know how to get
the file mounted in Ubuntu.

If I try to get the UUID for the partition, by using the "vol_id -u"
command, it returns "error opening device", I assume, because the device
is not mounted.

So, as I cannot mount the device, without the UUID, how do I get the
UUID, if the device is not mounted?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby