JFS filesystem corruption and jfs_fsck

Michael Peek peek at tiem.utk.edu
Thu Apr 2 14:17:33 UTC 2009

Christopher Chan wrote:
>  From the reported errors...are you sure the disks are still healthy?
> Are you using Seagate drives? I heard something about them drives having
> a coating that flakes off and eventually covers the disk heads and thus
> rendering the disk useless.

The JFS drive is made up of a combination of two, smaller, hardware
RAIDs.  The underlying hardware is reporting no drive failuires in
either RAID, so I have no reason to believe that the problem is due to a
faulty drive.  The data corruption followed an unexpected power outage,
so I'm thinking that's the cause.

I just don't want to have to reformat the filesystem and lose all of my
data if it's possible to repair it.  (Hence my headaches with jfs_fsck.)

Michael