Create a Bootable USB Pen Drive

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Thu Apr 2 11:01:29 UTC 2009

Thank you for your kind suggestions - but sadly, it did not work...

I am trying to dump an ISO that is actually an ISO9660 on a USB pen drive
recognized by the BIOS as a USB-HDD.

Changing the boot priority did not work for my BIOS, but I'd like it to work
on the move.

I'll be fair and paint the whole picture:

I have an old 65 MB pen drive with a physical lock button (to make it read
only). I thought it would be a good idea to make this pen drive an Anti
virus on the go - I'll lock it when I use it to scan computers and unlock it
when I want to update the definition file.

I found the free Linux-based Avira Rescue CD, a 50MB ISO for a CD-ROM. It's
updated a few times a day, so I thought it would be nice if I could have it
on my pen drive and update it as necessary.

I couldn't find any explicit instructions to put it on a USB pen drive, so I
tried to do it on my own.

I found this post, which relates to a Win32 utility:
http://ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9888&mode=threaded&pid=55631

I tried to adapt it to Linux, but I don't know how.

Any of you out there can point me to a HOWTO / guide for this to work?

If you know of another AV with a USB image available, I'd be glad to give it
a try, but I want it to be free (as in beer ;-) and Linux-based.

Thanks!

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Rodney Dangerfield  - "I haven't spoken to my wife in years. I didn't want
to interrupt her."