URL's in a e-mail msg will not startup firefox...???

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 09:41:11 UTC 2009

[...]
>>> *Here is my problem, when someone sends a URL in a e-mail msg, when I
>>> click on it, it will not bring up firefox...
>>>
>>> I am using Thunderbird as my mail client, now can anyone tell me what I
>>> need to do for it to work...???

[...]
>> I do not use Ubuntu to install the version of thunderbird that they
>> use...
>>
> *Problem resolved, I went back to he settings of the preferred
> application, and redid the command line... I had an extra /thunderbird so
> this is why it could not find it...
>
> It is working just fine now...
> [...]

This makes a good example.

When one installs programs outside of what the package manager
system handles, and thus not configured for Ubuntu, there is not a
guarantee that it will be put in the path, or expect paths, that other
Ubuntu packages expect. At least, that looks to me like what you are
describing.

Often one can deal with the issue by using a symlink from the location
the "alien" package(meaning not Ubuntu package) expects to the location
that the comparable Ubuntu package expects. Editing the path in TBird was
another way to get the correct the path to the program you wanted to use,
FF.