GNOME Parttion Editor

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Apr 2 08:45:16 UTC 2009

Hello.

I last night installed Ubuntu 8.04 on this computer.

I had a partition about 33GB, that I could not use with Debian, so I
thought that I might as well instal Ubuntu 8.04 into it.

When it came to the partitioning part of the installation, I selected
the Manual (rather than the Guided or the Automatic) option, and went
through the process of setting up a "/" partition of 10GB, with the
intention of using the remaining 23GB as a new, extra, partition for
data.

However, what I did in the partitioning part of the installation proces,
did not take effect, and now I have a 33GB partition for Ubuntu, for the
operating system.

Of that partition, Ubuntu shows as occupying 3.3GB, or, about 10%.

So, in later adding packages I found this package that is GNOME
Partition Editor.

"Right", I thought - "I can install that, and resize the partition, and
create a new partition, so that I can have only 10GB allocated for the
Ubuntu OS partition and a new, extra, partition of about 23GB, like I
intended".

However, all of the actions that seem to be supposed to be available for
doing that, are greyed out, in the menu's in GNOME Partition Editor.

Is the GNOME Partition Editor capable of resizing and editing
partitions?

Or, is it just disabled from doing anything with that partition, due to
the partition being a "/" partition?

Do I need to uninstall Ubuntu, and use fdisk to repartition that
partition, into the two partitions that I want, or is a partition ditor
available for Ubuntu, that can do that for me?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale