USB Hub not working after updates

Steve Grace sgrace at pobox.com
Thu Apr 2 03:10:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 15:46 +1300, Jeff wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 22:57 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Jeff wrote:

> > > Its not a hardware issue as the Hub($50NZ) works fine on Jaunty and XP
> > > i duel boot with?  Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > That doesn't make it not a hardware issue.  You'd need to try another hub -
> > as Brian says, they're not that smart, and it's really hard to imagine how
> > Jaunty makes a difference.
> > --
> > derek
> >

> Of course you may be right but i dont want to buy a new hub so as a
> quick fix i have decided to use Jaunty as my main desktop. Thanks.
> Jeff

This is probably unrelated to your problem, but here's my experience...

I had a problem in Hardy with my external USB hard drive no longer
mounting after a security update. I found I could get it to mount by
inducing USB activity, such as powering on my USB scanner, printing,
etc.

At the time I was using a PS/2 keyboard; when I switched to a USB
keyboard the problem went away.

I think I read that the problem was subsequently fixed (presumably in
Intrepid or Jaunty).