Wireless setup with Ubuntu

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 21:45:51 UTC 2009

The only successful wireless I have ever had is with my 8.10 on my
laptop. Even this is quite hard to get right because there are now 3
strong wireless signals in my room.

What happens first when you boot up is a panel that will not go away
until I give it my password. Then the network-manager tries to connect
to the first strong wireless but of course it fails because we have the
wrong password.

After a while it quits and then tries the next strong wireless signal
with the same wrong password. Panels with the information for each
wireless signal will be displayed and all I can do is click on "OK" or
"Cancel". Or I can put a different password in.

Now it just quits sending panels and I can click on the two tiny
computers and get a list of the wireless signals I am receiving. This is
VERY important! On Ubuntu that are not going to be able to use wireless,
you click on the computers and you see no wireless listed. This bodes
poor for that system.

This laptop has a good wireless signal from belkin54g, greg, and
myquest1609. Once you get set to see these on your computer your home
free and you can get wireless working. The belkin54g is my wireless router.

I need to refine my setup and will try to find the panel that gives the
belkin54g the right password and tell it to do that automatic and first.

Karl