printers for UBUNTU?

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Wed Apr 1 03:59:30 UTC 2009

Brian McKee wrote:

>>> Well, as others said there are essentially three alternatives, you can
>>> choose from:
>>>
>>> ==HP
>>> ==HP
>>> and
>>> ==Hewlett-Packard
>>>

>> That is rather pessimistic. Anything postscript-compliant should work
>> for basic printing. More advanced functions (two sided printing, for
>> instance, or ink levels detection) will need specific drivers, though.
>>
>> Most non-Lexmark printers on the market today are
>> postscript-compliant, and the ones that aren't postscript-compliant
>> will print things wrong in many cases (on both Linux and Windows), as
>> document formats such as PDF and Word (which is designed for creating
>> documents for print, by the way) actually use postscript functions or
>> mimic them internally. Therefore, if a printer won't work in Linux, it
>> will likely print things wrong in Windows as well.
>>

> At the risk of defending Lexmark - they're network printers are most
> certainly compatible as most of them do Postscript and IPP natively
> (along with many other standards, e.g. IBM mainframe stuff etc etc).
>
> I'm disappointed they stopped putting out CUPS ppd files for some
> reason and instead came up with their own 'custom' printing
> application - but it's most certainly linux compatible (albeit clunky
> and ugly)
>
> Me, I take the Win2K PPD files, dump 'em in CUPS and they work top drawer.
>
> Brian

Hello Brian,

I'm wondering if you could elaborate on "dump 'em in CUPS" some for me,
as I have a Lexmark Z845 printer that I cannot find a driver for,, and
have just been looking at the ppd file in the /Windows/Driver Cache/i386
folder, but do not know what to do with the file or files there in
Ubuntu CUPS.

There are several files which seem to be parts of the Windows XP driver
for this printer on my system. Here are the names of some of them as
referenced in the msxpsdrv.inf file in that folder.

msxpsinc.ppd  = 1
msxpsinc.gpd  = 1
mxdwdrv.dll   = 2
xpssvcs.dll   = 2

There are also an mxdwdui.gpd file, an mxdwdui.ini file, and an
mxdwdui.dll file in that folder, which all seem to be part of this
printer driver for Windows XP, as they were all accessed last on the
same date and time.

Additionally  the following section also exists in the msxpsdrv.inf
file, which seems to imply that this file is the postscript driver, or
something to do with postscript and this printer.

; XPSDrv with PSCRIPT5 UI
[XPSPPD.OEM]
CopyFiles=@MSXPSINC.PPD

Is it possible for me to use some, or all of these files in CUPS to
drive my printer? Thanks for any help you can be.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com