su question

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Sep 30 15:08:11 UTC 2008

Linda wrote:

> I have several timeshare employees that I would like to have share the
> same email account but not the same login. I thought I had a solution
> figured out by moving the thunderbird-profile to a directory they could
> all access. However thunderbird ignores umask and on closing sets the
> inbox as user rw no group permissions.

I'd say you're going the wrong way.  Set up an IMAP server (dovecot's
simple).  Create a user with no login (essentially, the shell is set
as /bin/false), and deliver its email to the IMAP server
(usually /var/mail/$USER/ or /home/$USER/Maildir/).  Have the users set up
any email client at all to point to the server's IMAP port,logging in with
the shared username/password.
--
derek