Help recovering information from Windows

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Sep 30 13:45:39 UTC 2008

Amanda Farr wrote:

> I read some time ago on Digg that you could use an Ubuntu live cd and mount
> the drive but I really have no idea how to do that and would need very
> specific instructions. Does anyone know where I could find instructions for
> doing this and recovering my information?
>
> I appreciate the help and any advice anyone has.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Amanda

Not to be a complete goob, but I would use Knoppix instead of the Ubuntu
Live CD.  Knoppix will automatically mount a detected hard drive,
assuming there is enough partition information with which to mount it
successfully.  Although, almost ANY Live CD will work fine, I keep a
Knoppix mini-disc handy for when my bootable flash drive won't work
because of BIOS issues.

Just my $0.02.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support