GUI goodness for your Mouse and Keyboard programming

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Tue Sep 30 13:41:08 UTC 2008

Hi!

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Young <tuxman at knology.net>  said:
>
>> http://www.hidpoint.com/home.html
>>
>> HIDPoint can be considered as a Linux version of Logitech’s or
>> Microsoft’s Keyboard and Mouse configuration software...
>>

> I'm not seeing any source code anywhere.  Now, I'm not an open source
> zealot but if the product /isn't/ open source then your mail to this
> mailing list is spam and you a spammer.
> Besides, if it's not open source and admittedly uses open source
> software as indicated on the credits page you may be more than a
> spammer, you may be a criminal.
>
> Please respond, I'd like for you to clear this all up.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Cybe, this list is NOT for pure open source. It is for Ubuntu users.

I'd like to remind you that unless you pick the Gobuntu edition, all
others Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu... come with repositories enabled to
install many non open source applications, including
flashplugin-nonfree, nvidia-* drivers, older versions of Java... and more.

These are discussed here every day because it helps the "Ubuntu users".

What the original poster posted is a piece of code, just as proprietary
as Skype, flashplugin-nonfree, nvidia drivers... it's a VERY interesting
piece of technology as it aims to make Ubuntu (and other Linuxen) behave
more user friendly, closer to what Windows users have grown to expect.
If it makes Linux behave better, be more attractive, and is, in general,
of potential interest to Ubuntu users (rember the name of this list,
it's VERY important), then I see no issue to have it posted here.

I, for one, went and looked at the site. I use fancy mice and keyboards.
I'm glad to find a tool (free - as in free beer) which lets me take
advantage of all the extra features they offer, nicely, with an easy
GUI, on my favorite os : Ubuntu.

Again... the information posted is of interest for Ubuntu users. It's
been posted to the ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com mailing list. I'd say
it's smack on target. The fact that it's actually a zero-cost software
is just icing on the cake.

Gilles