[Update] Re: Nvidia Quadro 4 cards

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 30 01:33:45 UTC 2008

On 09/12/2008 08:03 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/12/2008 05:46 AM, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> nstone wrote:
>>> NoOp wrote:
>>>
> [snip]

>>> I've never had any issues with any nVidia card that I was unable to
>>> resolve with the official nVidia drivers and google.
>>>

>> I've got one of them, according to Nvidia settings it's Quadro NVS 400,
>> 64MB RAM, AGP 4x. Works dandy and fine with the restricted drivers, but
>> since this is my work machine, haven't had a chance to try the shiny
>> polished advanced display effects... There is a VGA pigtail available
>> for it too.
>>
>> lspci:
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17GL [Quadro
>> NVS] (rev a3)
>
> Thanks guys - I now have a total of 4 (total cost = $8), so I'll pick up
> an adaptor this weekend & go through each one.

I finally got around to buying a couple of $5.00 DVI-VGA adaptors; all 4
cards work and they turn out to be nVidia Quadro4 900 XGL (AGP 4x,
128MB) cards. They fired right up in Hardy after allowing Hardy to
download and install the proprietary driver... Cool!

Rebooted into Intrepid (updated as of today 29 Sept - kernel
2.6.27-4-generic) and was given a choice of 2 nvidia drivers: 1) version
71 and 2) version 96 [Recommended]. So, I opted for the "Recommended"
version 96 and selected "Activate". Ubuntu downloaded the driver &
installed - nothing happened, both 71 and 96 show up as not activated.
So I click the restricted driver icon on the top panel and again try to
activate 96 (providing password this time). I finally try a reboot; get
the error that I'm running in low-graphics mode...blah. Reboot Intrepid
in recovery mode and try xfix and resume normal boot; gdm boots up in
the proper 1024x784 mode, go to System|Administration|Hardware Drivers|
and it still shows that neither nvidia driver is enabled. So this time I
try the 71 driver; that one goes through the downloading & installing
driver bits... again it shows that neither driver is enabled. So I try
System|Preferences|Appearance and try to enable Extra effects; it asks
to enable 71, I say yes, it doesn't.

So for now I've mess with the Intrepid problem later & just continue to
boot into Hardy -- later of course I'll look at launchpad and add to, or
file a new bug, but in the meantime I'll install the other three cards
in another three machines (Hardy machines) and enjoy playing with them
vs the onboard Intel 82865G's.

Also have a dual-boot Win2KPro drive on the test machine... had to
download nearly 22MB of driver software (in VGA mode) to get the card to
work on that.