Computer locking up after several days' uptime

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Mon Sep 29 08:36:08 UTC 2008

Hi!

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> How could I get to the syslog
>> and dmesg logs if the machine hangs? Wouldn't they be overwritten on
>> next boot? (I'm on a very flakey stealing-the-neighbor's-wireless
>> connection as we are 'vacationing' at the mother-in-laws for the new
>> year. The answer may therefore be a quick google away but that will
>> have to wait until Thursday :) )
>>

> The answer is even closer, you can find it in "/var/log" but as always you
> have to know where to look :)
>
> Some smart people obviously anticipated that problem and therefore the
> files are preserved as e.g. "/var/log/dmesg.0". However, you may have no
> luck after all if the machine is really dead because then nothing will
> write the logs to the disk after the lockup.
>

> Nils

You could also configure syslogd (*/etc/syslog.conf*) to be more
detailed in what it logs... and maybe have it forward all messages
instantly to a remote host with a line like :

**.*    @YourRemoteHost*

Or just kernel messages :

*kern.*   @YourRemoteHost*

then from the remote host, you can see messages appear, probably first
signs of temperature raise (if temperature IS the real problem) before
the machine hangs.

Keep in mind that your remote host probably needs to be an IP address
(or have it resolved in */etc/hosts*) if you want messages to be
transmitted before resolver is running.

Have a look at *man syslogd* for more information on things you can do
with it.

Gilles.

--
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles at Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles at Gravier.org>
ICQ : *77488526*