Sound Problems in fully updated 8.04

Roger Benham rogerbenham2000 at yahoo.ca
Mon Sep 29 02:18:12 UTC 2008

Sound Problems in fully updated 8.04

I have recently installed in an ancient (2001?) computer put together with more modern memory, hard drives, DVD-RW's a copy of WXP on one side and U-8.04 on the other. Both boot up fine, both play movies but the Ubuntu side has no sound. I went into Add/Remove and installed the items I found under all available applications for Sound Driver, Sound Card and Codec but still no joy. Yet in WXP on Real Player I have sound and picture.
Any suggestions as to what I could do next?
Thanks, Roger.