Screen resolution loop [help!]

David Armour d.f.armour at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 29 01:45:01 UTC 2008

Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Well, it's still a mystery to me just what you did. You mentioned
xorg.conf.NVidia above.  Is that the file in
> puppy linux?

Yep. This afternoon I realized I could've just looked at the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf on my working Ubuntu Hardy and saved myself
from all that kludgey emailing. It is also v. definitely
xorg.conf and NOT xorg.config. It does appear rather generic,
however. So I'm not sure why the resolution issue has been
solved on a Hardy machine and not an Intrepid

> When I ran nvidia-xconfig as root it generated the file
xorg.config(not >.conf)

Weird. All the docs I've seen always refer to xorg.conf, as
does man. I was surprised, actually, to see xorg.conf.NVidia
listed in puppy's /etc/X11.

> Doing a xfix or dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xservr-xorg creates
a new > xorg.conf file that is all generic

My next step was going to be "dpkg-reconfigure..." but I ran
out of time this weekend. I may still get a little while after
dinner.

> using the new-envy driver. You went to extra ordinary effort
to fix you screen res so more power to you.

>  I admire your tenacity in fixing you issue.-:)

Thanks. And I admire your tenacity in continuing to reply to
this thread. It's good to know I'm not hanging out to dry on
my own!