Samba and XP machines

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 27 05:40:25 UTC 2008

--- On Fri, 9/26/08, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> From: Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au>
> Subject: Re: Samba and XP machines
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Friday, September 26, 2008, 11:36 PM
> On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 20:56 -0700, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > Hey Karl, You're certainly smarter than me on
> samba and linux in
> > general and you helped me setup my first samba attempt
> and so did
> > others.  But, I distinctly remember getting told by
> this list that
> > username and passwd had to be the same on both
> machines.
>
> My partner has an XP machine and can log in as any user she
> chooses. In
> the file explorer choose "map network drive",
> then choose the "other
> user" link.

I had lots of trouble mapping Network Drives using windows when i first started using samba finally got it to see the linux machine but still couldn't access it. It's been so long now and don't remember exactly what fixed it.  Don't use any windows now so can't check what you say out on my end.  I'm sure your right but I just don't remember it that way. In windows, I had my full name as username as was the default and did set up an admin account with a seperate passwd which screwed up my user files. I never had reason to set up seperate user files but am reasonably sure you would have to login with username and passwd for each. I don;t think I had any success with samba until I changed my user ID via the admin account to what it was in Ubuntu including same passwd. I didn't know enough about networking at that time to even setup one without much help from many people both on and off list.

> on both
> > > machines.
> > >
> > > I think (but do not know) that this is also not
> true.
> > >
> > This one I'm sure I right on. Had mshome on one
> machine and workgroup
> > on another and samba wouldn't work til both has
> the same workgroup
> > name.  Was also told by the list they had to be the
> same.
>
> The workgroup on my samba server is one thing, my
> partner's XP machine
> is something completely other, and she can mount whatever
> drives she
> wants off my server.

I'm sure you know what your talking about and I know I don't know that much about samba or networking. I just got them working and pretty much forgot about them. that's what I like about Ubuntu.

> > Hey Karl, straighten me out on this because what I
> said is exactly how
> > my smb.conf is set up and it still works.
>
> Oh, if everything is the same on XP and Samba, it will of
> course work! I
> just mean that they do not, technically, *have* to be the
> same. Think
> about it - people from all over a University or corporation
> will be in
> all sorts of various workgroups, but they can all access a
> central samba
> server...

Well, I can't think about it logically because I don't know much about networking or samba but what you say makes sense it's just contrary to what I did and was told when starting out at least as I remember it. I defer to your knowledge as being correct. It must be early Alheimers setting in of my part.:-). We should just drop this less we confuse the OP and you just help him out if he hasn't solved his samba issues yet. Thanks for correcting impressions I thought was correct for a long time now.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net