Wired networking suddenly stopped on Laptop

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fri Sep 26 21:36:08 UTC 2008

damian wrote:
> I've been away using a friends wireless set up (as I have done many
> times before), but I've returned and plugged my laptop into my wired
> network and I can't get emails or any web pages in firefox. I can ping
> the main machine on the network which is always on, but can't seem to do
> much else. Can someone guide me where to look to sort this out?
>
> It's not a physical problem as the laptop is dual boot and XP can still
> connect fine.
>
> Looking forward to your thoughts.
>
> Damian

What's the output of ifconfig?  What's the default route?  Can you ping
the default gateway?  I'd look at all the network settings and start
pinging devices from host up.  My guess is the default gateway isn't right.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support