cant ping external website

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fri Sep 26 17:48:13 UTC 2008

Rashkae wrote:

> Ah, but that's the Million dollar point of all this.  Putting the
> hostname on 127.0.0.1 *was* causing trouble with some obscure networking
> fqdn lookup stuff.
>
> It was therefore decreed from henceforth that 127.0.0.1 would be
> localhost and only localhost, voila, problem solved.

It was therefore decreed henceforth /in the Debian world/.  And for the
life of me I'd love to know why Debian based OS's are the only ones
having trouble with this.

I've found no other distro having this kind of problem.  Therefore I
think the /problem solved/ is a problem created by something odd in
Debian.

So, in conclusion, personally I'd never do this.  Does that make it
right or wrong?  No.  Do I think it's a bad idea?  Years of thinking
otherwise tell me yes, but no I don't think it's a bad idea.   Just
silly.  There may be other /obscure/ networking problems this might
actually cause for all we know.

I am quite tired of sitting here defending my point when those attacking
me have no better answers and accuse me of having no reason other than
'it's wrong'.  So, let's drop it.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support