scrolling through pages in firefox and scrolling through lots of text in terminal = choppy/delayed

Ryan Pugatch rpug at gmx.com
Fri Sep 26 14:38:49 UTC 2008

Hey everyone,

Subject sums up the problem.. it's especially noticeable when i have a
ton of text in my terminal (xterm) and make the window full screen and
scroll up and down.  Huge delay when I scroll.  It makes it pretty
unusable when trying to look through a large amount of data.  It isn't
too bad when the term window isn't maximized.

Running xubuntu 8.04 on a thinkpad t61 which has an NVIDIA Quadro
NVS 140M video card.  Tried the NVIDIA beta drivers and still had the
same problem, and subsequently rolled back to the version available
from the ubuntu repos.  Outputting to a Dell 3007WFP and a 2007WFP

I also have a weird display issue where gnome-screensaver doesn't black
out my display when it shows the login prompt.. it just shows the login
prompt over my screen.  Sometimes it doesn't even display the whole
login box, it just displays the box for the password.  This is not a
huge deal, just thought I'd mention it since it seems like a quirky
display issue.

Hope someone has some insight.. appreciate the help.

Thanks,

 --
Ryan Pugatch
rpug AT gmx.com