screen resolution problems with Hardy Herron

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 25 22:29:34 UTC 2008

--- On Thu, 9/25/08, vincent <bullet at ballmail.co.za> wrote:

> From: vincent <bullet at ballmail.co.za>
> Subject: Re: screen resolution problems with Hardy Herron
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Thursday, September 25, 2008, 4:58 AM
> Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Robert Holtzman wrote:
> >

> >> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Michael "TheZorch"
> Haney wrote:
> >>

> ................snip...................

> issue is the fact that
> not allow you to manually
> a serious bug and I've
> >>>

> .................snip..................

> issue in the next version of
> monitor type on the screen
> this problem will continue into
> acceptable.
> >>>
> >> Damned strange. System -> Preferences ->
> Screen Resolution works like a
> >> charm on my box. That doesn't sound like a bug
> to me.
> >>

> > Sounds normal to me.  Bugs that affect _everybody_
> rarely make it into a
> > stable release.  It's the ones like this that only
> effect some people that
> > cause the trouble...
> >
> I've been following this thread with interest as I had
> the same problem
> with Ubuntu 8.04, it didn't recognise my monitor or
> graphics card &
> would only install & display in 800x600 or 640x480
> reso. The System>
> Preference option is locked into 640 or 800 reso if Ubuntu
> doesn't
> recognise the monitor or graphics & can't be
> changed from there. For
> what it's worth I did the following,in desperation,
> after trying various
> config options in X/org.conf I rebooted in
> "Recovery" mode & used the
> reconfigure X/org.conf option. It gives the choice of
> configuring the
> resolution to your monitor - I had only ever selected(many
> times) the
> "monitor 1024x786" option as my monitor has been
> with me since the 80's,
> definately NOT LCD! - Here's where the desperation came
> in, I selected
> the "LCD 1027x786" option & it worked! Nice
> full screen & full view of
> all programs running.
> Now all I have to do is figure out how to turn Hardy off!
> But that's
> another issue. :-(
> Regards
> Vince

You should have been able to select the res without using an LCD type, I think.  Using recovery mode and selecting xfix, 4th item down, usually fixes x-issues for me.  Doing a dpkg-reconfigure xorg.conf gives a configuration with no specifics(ie, configured mouse, configured Video Device, monitor)and usually works. I'm using the nvidia restricted drivers for my wide screen LG lcd and don't even need the xorg.conf which I've mved and everything works fine. The xorg.config(nvidia restricted) has all the monitor and video card info in it.
If you feel you still have a video/monitor setup issue still(can't shut down the OS) please post under another subject title and give your monitor and video card specifics and someone if likely to offer help.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net