screen resolution problems with Hardy Herron

Michael "TheZorch" Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 17:30:15 UTC 2008

Rashkae wrote:
> Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:

>>> Nobody has "removed" the functionality - it just isn't available for all
>>> hardware.  It never has been, afaik.
>>>

>> You just are getting it.  Gods you people are hard headed.  If you
>> cannot change your monitor settings (ie; tell Ubuntu what kind of
>> monitor you have) from the same applet window where you change your
>> screen resolution then it was "removed".
>>
>> he functionality was there in Ubuntu 7.10.  Its not there in the current
>> version ... therefore it was "removed".
>>
>> It needs to be put back, so that if the monitor isn't be detected during
>> the install at least the user can manually change the monitor settings
>> easily.  How fracking hard is that to understand?!  Why is this so
>> difficult a concept to comprehend?!
>>
>> This missing feature is costing Ubuntu NEW USERS, it needs to be
>> addressed.  Get your head out of the sand and wake up!
>>

> Dude, calm down and take happy pills.  Contrary to your statement, the
> Gutsy Display resolution dialog does not allow you to specify monitor type.
>
> With hardy, however, displayconfig-gtk is installed by default
> (although, not enabled in the default menus), that that one *does* allow
> you to specify your monitor.. so you see, your complaint is already
> addressed.

AGAIN, skirting and ignoring the issue!  This why I'm getting pissed,
people are ignoring the problem or can't comprehend that I'm trying to
approach this issue from the perspective of a person who's computer
knowledge is limited to just how to turn on the computer and clicking
the mouse to make the programs run.  Sure a seasoned computer geek like
me can learn to use the terminal tweak settings and config files but
your average user will be turned off by that.

The display resolution dialog box in Hardy should ALSO let you choose
your monitor type like the Gutsy display resolution dialog box does.
That is the point I'm trying to get across.  The fact that it doesn't is
the issue.  Saying that you can do this or that or fix it is just
skirting the issue and sweeping it under the rug rather than really
addressing it.

That is why I'm pissed, because people don't seem to fracking care that
a such a simple change in the display resolution dialog is turning new
users off of Ubuntu and preventing them from giving the OS a fair chance.

Jesus Christ, a 5 year old understand this problem better than you guys do!

That's sad.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com