screen resolution problems with Hardy Herron

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 25 16:55:00 UTC 2008

On 09/25/2008 08:07 AM, Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:

>> Definitely.  As usual, some hardware properly reports its capabilities to X,
>> some hardware is well enough known that we can work around it, and some is
>> just plain badly behaved...
>>
> Regardless removing the ability to easily change your monitor settings
> is a major downgrade in functionality rather than an improvement.  This
> has and will prevent some people from adopting Ubuntu.  A lot of you may
> shrug your shoulders at this problem and not give a flying frack but
> this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.  This problem is
> preventing people who would otherwise give Ubuntu and Linux in general
> serious consider a very bad impression.  This feature needs to be added
> back so you can change your monitor driver settings without hassle, period.

As you've found, sudo displayconfig-gtk is still available and has not
been removed. If you'd like the Screens & Graphics menu:

On a fresh 8.04 install:

- Right click Applications|Edit Menus
- Go to Other and tick Screens & Graphics

On a Gutsy to Hardy Upgrade:

- I stil have Screens & Graphics under System|Administration. I can't
recall if I moved it there because that's where it was in Gutsy, or had
to enable it again. If it is not, then check under 'Other' on Applications.

I recall some discussion on launchpad regarding S&G; I se3em to recall
that the decision was made to hide it because there were issues
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/displayconfig-gtk), and in
most cases the new system works for most. Added info here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/displayconfig-gtk/+bug/203612
[ Screens and Graphics menu item in wrong section ]