screen resolution problems with Hardy Herron

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Sep 25 16:06:39 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:

>>> Definitely.  As usual, some hardware properly reports its capabilities to
>>> X, some hardware is well enough known that we can work around it, and
>>> some is just plain badly behaved...
>>>
>> Regardless removing the ability to easily change your monitor settings
>> is a major downgrade in functionality rather than an improvement.
>
> Nobody has "removed" the functionality - it just isn't available for all
> hardware.  It never has been, afaik.

However, a good case can be made that all those special rules and
oddball cases that were accounted for in the old debian xserver
configuration scripts should not have just been tossed out.  I know
several people who have switched from Ubuntu to Debian because their
hardware would not play nice with the new system, but works well with
Gutsy or Debian Unstable.

If anyone in a position to do something about it is reading this op-ed,
I think it would be a good idea to resurrect the old xserver
configuration scripts as an optional package that people with difficulty
can try.  (Or maybe include the xorg text mode configuration utility.
I'm assuming it's still part of xorg, though that may be a unsafe
assumption.)