screen resolution problems with Hardy Herron

Michael "TheZorch" Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 15:07:12 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Robert Holtzman wrote:

>>> Sounds normal to me.  Bugs that affect _everybody_ rarely make it into a
>>> stable release.  It's the ones like this that only effect some people
>>> that cause the trouble...
>>>
>> What would make the bug only affect some users? Different hardware?
>>

> Definitely.  As usual, some hardware properly reports its capabilities to X,
> some hardware is well enough known that we can work around it, and some is
> just plain badly behaved...

Regardless removing the ability to easily change your monitor settings
is a major downgrade in functionality rather than an improvement.  This
has and will prevent some people from adopting Ubuntu.  A lot of you may
shrug your shoulders at this problem and not give a flying frack but
this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.  This problem is
preventing people who would otherwise give Ubuntu and Linux in general
serious consider a very bad impression.  This feature needs to be added
back so you can change your monitor driver settings without hassle, period.

Anything that prevents people from adopting Ubuntu needs to be
approached as a threat and dealt with.  This is a rather serious threat
where you want to acknowledge it or not.  Reality bites hardest when it
bites you in the ass when you aren't looking.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home