WiFi doesn't work on Lenovo T61

Albert Charron albert at albertcharron.name
Thu Sep 25 04:21:31 UTC 2008

custom at freenet.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just received a Lenovo T61.. I thought it'd be a pretty mainstream choice, but to my horror the wifi refuses to work; I don't see any networks and when entering the network details manually it doesn't work either.
>
> According to lspci, the netword card is:
>
>  Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
>
> If I look in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules then I see:
>
> # PCI device 0x8086:0x4227 (iwl3945)
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:1c:bf:ae:b4:08", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="wlan*", NAME="wlan0"
>
> Help... any Ubuntu version I used since Hoary/Breezy worked with any laptop I threw at it, mostly smaller brands.. I thought it'd be a no-brainer with such a common model like the Thinkpad..
>

> Heute schon ge"freeMail"t?
> Jetzt kostenlose E-Mail-Adresse sichern!
> http://email.freenet.de/dienste/emailoffice/produktuebersicht/basic/mail/index.html?pid=6831

Just to let you know that this card is supposed to work out of the box.
I have the same card in one of the laptops I manage and it works perfectly.

Maybe a detail you can check, do you have a "wifi" switch? (maybe the
antenna is simply switched off?)

  Albert Charron
  Linux Counter member #157482
  Registered computers: 387105, 387106