pw on laptop -> forgotton

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Wed Sep 24 16:07:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:59:48 +0300
Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:

MG> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:55:26AM -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
MG> > Ah crap! I set up a laptop for the school system to try out - and they
MG> > loved it! But then some bone head changed the password and no one can
MG> > get back in. Short of reformatting, is there any recover option available?
MG>
MG> Boot in rescue mode.  You'll get an (unfriendly) root shell.  Type
MG>
MG>   passwd username
MG>
MG> to set a new password (replace with the real username that you created).
MG>
MG> Marius Gedminas

I guess in the context there are a couple of other points:
1) Don't let the kids see you fix it
2) Create 2 users one for you to use as admin with the full sudo access an one for others to try out the system.

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |