screen resolution problems with Hardy Herron

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 08:54:20 UTC 2008

2008/9/24 Robert Holtzman <holtzm at cox.net>:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:
>
>                ................snip...................
>
>> This is a problem I ran into myself.  The main issue is the fact that
>> new screen resolution controls in Ubuntu do not allow you to manually
>> change the settings for your monitor.  This is a serious bug and I've
>> issues a bug report on it.
>
>                 .................snip..................
>
>> I'm hoping that the developers fix this issue in the next version of
>> Ubuntu and add the feature for adjusting your monitor type on the screen
>> resolution window.  If they don't then this problem will continue into
>> the next release and that isn't acceptable.
>
> Damned strange. System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution works like a
> charm on my box. That doesn't sound like a bug to me.

... and it will continue to do so. I believe the issue here is that
the monitor is not correctly detected.
The dialogue you're indicating works great at changing resolutions
within those specified for the monitor it thinks you have.  In this
case the monitor is not detected and defaults to a (safe) 640x480 only
monitor... ergo only 640x480 would be listed in the 'Screen
Resolution' dialogue.

cheers,
Owen.