send email from command line

Erik Christiansen dvalin at internode.on.net
Wed Sep 24 07:41:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:43:52PM +0200, mierda tuti wrote:
> Sorry I don't explain too well.
>
> I would like to send e-mail outside of my lan, to send email to for example
> to someone gmail email

Hopefully advice already posted helps with the broader concerns.
I'll just clarify that the previous example:

echo "They all had spots" | mail -s "Myscript had kittens" erik

used a local destination only as a hint to test that first, both as
a learning exercise, and to see if any problems arise. With that
confidence, the next thing to try would be:

echo "Hope this works" | mail -s "Test" mierdatuti at gmail.com

If you have an MTA installed (typically postfix, on ubuntu), then it
should just work.

What happens when you try these examples?

Erik

--
Why didn't they listen to the warnings about the danger from the Large
Hadron Collider? Immediately they switched it on, the global financial