[WMP54G ver 4.1] Re: Ubuntu Wireless question: was Re: Ubuntu Studio question

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 24 00:59:57 UTC 2008

--- On Tue, 9/23/08, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> From: NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: [WMP54G ver 4.1] Re: Ubuntu Wireless question: was Re: Ubuntu Studio question
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 2:45 PM
> On 09/23/2008 11:35 AM, Brian McKee wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Michael Falkenburg
> > <mandcfalk at verizon.net> wrote:
> >> Sorry about the delay...like I said, it's a
> 3rd-shift dilemma.
> >>
> >> Here is the lspci -v info:
> >> (oh yeah, before I forget, where in the world does
> the vertical line
> >> come from - the one you had before "grep
> Ethernet" - and what does it mean?
> >
> > The vertical line is called a pipe |
> >
> > It's like a joiner between two commands - pass the
> output of this into
> > the input of that  - connecting them like a
> 'pipe'
> >
> > On a typical US 104 key keyboard it's usually
> located above the Enter
> > key with the backslash \
> >
> > It's one of the pillars of Unix.   For instance
> >
> > ls -ahl   will list in long format all the files in
> the current directory
> > grep Fred  will look for a line with 'Fred' in
> it from the information
> > you pass into grep
> >
> > Here's an example
> >
> > ==> ls -ahl
> > total 0
> > drwxr-xr-x    5 bmckee  bmckee  170B Sep 23 14:30 .
> > drwxr-xr-x   96 bmckee  bmckee    3K Sep 23 14:30 ..
> > -rw-r--r--    1 bmckee  bmckee    0B Sep 23 14:31
> fred.txt
> > -rw-r--r--    1 bmckee  bmckee    0B Sep 23 14:30
> somethingelse.txt
> > -rw-r--r--    1 bmckee  bmckee    0B Sep 23 14:30
> test.txt
> >
> > ==> ls -ahl | grep test
> > -rw-r--r--    1 bmckee  bmckee    0B Sep 23 14:30
> test.txt
> >
> > See how 'piping' the output of `ls` into
> `grep` let us find just what we wanted?
> >
> > In his original suggestion to you, piping lspci thru
> grep to find
> > Ethernet would have resulted in zero output.  It might
> have been a bit
> > confusing, but it would have saved a lot of innocent
> bits that got
> > shoved through my email for no good reason :-)
>
> Correct... I was thinking it would be similar to:
>
> $ lspci -v | grep Ethernet
> 01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562EZ
> 10/100 Ethernet
> Controller (rev 01)
>
> from my system.
>
> But now that we know what the device actually is:
> 00:0b.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
>     Subsystem: Linksys WMP54G ver 4.1
>     Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 9
>     Memory at efff0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
> [size=32K]
>     Capabilities: <access denied>
>
> maybe we can narrow down the problem.
>
> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bhardy+%2BWMP54G+ver+4.1>

> [...]
I have this exact card in my old Dell machine running Gutsy and it was a chore getting it to work.  I believe I posted on it but it's been a long time for this old guy to remember.  I had to do some strange things to get it to work. As I remember:

Added the rt61pci module to /etc/modules and probably some other things that I found googling.  NoOp's references may have them.
And what's really wierd was to install card and driver start up the computer, then shutdown and remove card, startup again then shutdown and reinstall the card and then startup again. If you find something like this googling; it's what I did to get the card to work under linux Ubuntu.  Hopefully Hardy got around this procedure.
Also, when I started up the computer it wouldn'd connect without doing a "sudo ifdown wlan0" followed by a "sudo ifup wlan0" which I had to put into /etc/rc.local to automate the process as someone on the list suggested. I think the commands are correct but could be off a little and someone will correct me if so.
I also had "blacklist mac80211" in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.
You don't have to use sudo for commands in rc.local. I have in my rc.local:
ifdown wlan0
ifup wlan0
exit 0

I can't remember or find anything else in the setup of the WMP54G wiless card.  Hope it helps getting you going. Hardy, assuming your running it, may be easier to setup, hopefully.
I didn't read NoOp's link for setting up the WMP54G in Hardy but if it conflicts with what I did I'd follow the reference as I'm sure there were many complaints about the setup in gutsy.
Good Luck.

Len Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net