Virtual box USB problems

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 23 20:41:27 UTC 2008

On 09/23/2008 01:07 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> >
>> > OK, that's a decent idea - it won't get wiped by the next upgrade of
>> > initscripts.  Thanks.
>>
>>   See "11.5.7 USB not working" in the VB Manual (page 147).
>
> Visual Basic manual?!?? OK, I know you meant VirtualBox manual - probably
> that's where I found it a long time ago :)
>

> Nils

Yeah, ok: VBox manual?  At least I didn't suggest editing
/etc/resolv.conf in that one :-)

For Derek:
<quote>
11.5.7 USB not working
If USB is not working on your Linux host, make sure that the current
user has permission to access the USB filesystem (usbfs), which
VirtualBox relies on to retrieve valid information about your host’s USB
devices.
As usbfs is a virtual filesystem, a chmod on /proc/bus/usb has no
effect. The permissions for usbfs can therefore only be changed by
editing the /etc/fstab file.
For example, most Linux distributions have a user group called usb or
similar, of which the current user must be a member. To give all users
of that group access to usbfs, make sure the following line is present:
# 85 is the USB group
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=85,devmode=664 0 0
Replace 85 with the group ID that matches your system (search /etc/group
for “usb” or similar).
</quote>

I just add the comment to be:

# usbfs is the USB group in fstab file - use $ grep vbox /etc/group for
devgid

so I don't forget how I got the devgid in the first place.