Please help me out

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Sep 23 18:05:59 UTC 2008

Semiu Kareem wrote:
> Dear sir/ma,
>
> Please I need help to install ubuntu linux on my laptop. I am currently
> downloading the version 8.04 for desktop. What configuration do I need on my
> hp 530 notebook with one partition already loaded with window vista and how
> do I achieve the configuration?

Sure, I'll bite.  You have Vista on the laptop already, correct?  I take
it Vista takes up the entire drive, correct?  You will need to resize
the NTFS partition that vista is on to allow sufficient free space to
install Ubuntu (>=10GB is a good start, although others may argue that).

I do not know if Ubuntu has qparted built in the installer to allow
auto-resizing the partitions on the fly, but if not, I suggest
downloading and burning the System Rescue CD (sysresccd.org) and using
the partition tools on it.

When that's done, just tell Ubuntu to use the free space available to
install.  Make sure it doesn't say to delete all partitions. That would
be bad if you wanted to keep Vista on there.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support