Virtual box USB problems

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Sep 23 17:08:35 UTC 2008

Mr Shunz wrote:

>> Specifically, your /proc/bus/usb/* needs to be writable by the vboxusers
>> group - it isn't in Ubuntu, and even with the help of the virtualbox
>> community I haven't been able to figure out the correct udev rules to
>> make it boot that way.
>
> this worked for me (Ubuntu 8.04):
>
> open /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
>
> go to the section that says:
>
> #
> # Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
> #
>
> uncomment the lines that follow ...
>
> obviusly, add yourself to vboxusers group...

Yeah, that's the method I've used but it's _wrong_.  As opposed to just
chmod'ing the nodes, it _will_ work at next boot, but it breaks again the
next time your "initscripts" package is upgraded (because mountdevsubfs.sh
is part of that package, and Ubuntu's version will overwrite it - and if
you're remotely like me, you've forgotten what to do to fix the problem by
the time that happens).

So I've found two options that work by modifying udev - which I can set up
to always work ahead of anything installed by Ubuntu - but neither of
those, or my attempt at modification, is actually working :-(
--
derek