cant ping external website

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Sep 23 14:37:04 UTC 2008

Donny George wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:
>
>> Donny George wrote:
>>> hello
>>>

>>> i can ping the nameserver and also the gateway
>>>

>>> with telnet 132.230.200.200 it doesnt return any result
>>>
>>> with host www.web.de i get the IP address of web.de
>>>
>>> but i cant use traceroute as its not installed
>>>
>>> and i cant install as apt-get is not working yet
>>>

>> Please, don't top post.  Try 'telnet 132.230.200.200 53' and see what
>> happens.  If you get a 'connected' line, then we know network
>> connectivity is good to the internet.
>>
>> But it also means that the DNS settings are wrong.  I tested that
>> nameserver and it does not do recursion.  This means if it's not on the
>> local system, it won't resolve it.  That might be your problem.  Try
>> using a different set to DNS servers.
>>

>> --
>> Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
>>

>> Mark Haney
>> Sr. Systems Administrator
>> ERC Broadband
>> (828) 350-2415
>>
>> Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
>>
>> --
>>

> hello mark and derek
>

> sorry for top posting
>
> i also replied to your questions though it was as top post and a bit slow
>
> so the result of telnet 132.230.200.200 is that is displays
>
> Trying 132.230.200.200...
>
> don

Okay, let's go a little slower.  Try 'telnet 132.230.200.200 53' exactly
like that without the quotes.  That will let you telnet to port 53 of
the DNS server.  Port 53 is the DNS port so you SHOULD get connected to it.

Also, give us the out put of ifconfig on the system that is NOT working
and one that IS working with the 10.x.x.x IP addresses.