cant ping external website

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Sep 23 14:19:06 UTC 2008

Donny George wrote:
> hello
>

> i can ping the nameserver and also the gateway
>

> with telnet 132.230.200.200 it doesnt return any result
>
> with host www.web.de i get the IP address of web.de
>
> but i cant use traceroute as its not installed
>
> and i cant install as apt-get is not working yet

Please, don't top post.  Try 'telnet 132.230.200.200 53' and see what
happens.  If you get a 'connected' line, then we know network
connectivity is good to the internet.

But it also means that the DNS settings are wrong.  I tested that
nameserver and it does not do recursion.  This means if it's not on the
local system, it won't resolve it.  That might be your problem.  Try
using a different set to DNS servers.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support