cant ping external website

Luke Militello luke at digitalenigma.net
Tue Sep 23 12:36:34 UTC 2008

Couldn't help but notice you are referring to the file as 'resolve.conf'
when in fact it is 'resolv.conf'.  There is no 'e' at the end, perhaps
this is your problem.  Verify this and the try an nslookup to prove DNS
is working.

nslookup google.com

Should return the IP addresse(s) for the host you query.

Also, you might wish to verify that the nameserver in question will
resolve hosts for the IP which you are sourcing from.  For exmaple, it
will obviously not resolve for me, however you can still port scan it to
make sure the service is there.

PROMPT> nslookup www.web.de 132.230.200.200
Server:		132.230.200.200
Address:	132.230.200.200#53

** server can't find www.web.de: REFUSED

PROMPT> sudo nmap -sU -P0 -v -p 53 132.230.200.200

Starting Nmap 4.53 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2008-09-23 08:32 EDT
Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 08:32
Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 08:32, 5.50s elapsed
Initiating UDP Scan at 08:32
Scanning dns0.fun.uni-freiburg.de (132.230.200.200) [1 port]
Completed UDP Scan at 08:32, 2.05s elapsed (1 total ports)
Host dns0.fun.uni-freiburg.de (132.230.200.200) appears to be up ... good.
Interesting ports on dns0.fun.uni-freiburg.de (132.230.200.200):
PORT   STATE         SERVICE
53/udp open|filtered domain

Read data files from: /usr/share/nmap
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 7.613 seconds
            Raw packets sent: 2 (56B) | Rcvd: 0 (0B)

Hope this helps!
-Luke